Saturday 21 March 2015

What Happened To July??

Note:  This post was originally published on July 31, 2014.  All posts prior to this date - along with images from April 2014 to March 2015 - have been lost forever to the Internet black hole.  

---

Soooo, July is over.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around how quickly it disappeared.  I feel like I spend all year waiting for the summer to get here and then it's gone before I ever get a chance to enjoy it.  This summer is going especially quickly because our calendar is intense.  J-Bird has softball twice a week, plus we've had baby showers and birthday parties and doctor's appointment and all sorts of craziness.  Here's a quick recap of what's happened over the last two weeks:

For starters, J-Bird turned ten.


I am officially old enough to have a child whose age is comprised of double-digits.  I tend to make a pretty huge deal out of J-Bird's birthday every year, and obviously this year was no different (again, double-digits, you guys!)  George basically played the "best stepdad ever" card and was like "Oh, P.S., I booked his birthday off so I could take him out to do fun stuff."  How cute is that?  So we spent a busy and fun-filled day celebrating our newly-turned-ten-year-old:  we took him to Starbucks for a frappucino in the morning ("Do I get to have a venti since it's my birthday??") and then we brought him home to open his presents.  His stepmom, who is a teacher and has summers off, stopped by with J-Bird's little half-sister for a visit and to drop off presents, and after that, we headed to the movies to see How to Train Your Dragon 2 (J-Bird has see the first movie probably close to 86 gazillion times and was super-amped on going to see the sequel!)  Then we rushed home, got changed, and headed off to the park for softball (J-Bird's team totally won, BTW).  I brought pop and cookies decorated like baseballs, and J-Bird's team sang happy birthday to him, and then we came home and had a Mario Kart 8 tournament until it was way past bedtime.  I'd say it was a birthday success.

{photo of the 10-year-old J-Bird was here}


George's nephew also turned ten.


Which meant that we had birthday party festivities to attend!  J-Bird and George's nephew get along swimmingly, being born two days apart, and this year's birthday party included a trip to laser tag.  J-Bird could not have been more excited about his first laser tag experience, you guys.  I heard about it for weeks leading up to the party.  For a brief moment, during one of their three games, J-Bird was in first place!  I managed to get a (crappy) picture of the scoreboard, but the by time the round ended, he'd fallen to fifth.  Still pretty awesome for a newbie, right?

{this was a picture of the scoreboard}

And obviously, J-Bird had a party, also...


We did ours on the following weekend (July 26th) so that there was no conflict with George's nephew's party.  Remember how I was freaking out over trying to throw a Pokemon party and I had no clue what I was doing?  I figured it out.

J-Bird loved his party.  I was totally calm the night before, as I finished his birthday cake and prepped the decorations.  I was even calm in the morning, before the party started, as I hung decorations and inflated balloons.  But then my house was filled with people, and my broken A/C made is so hot in here that I was super-attractive and dripping with sweat (it was like the surface of the sun), and there was a lot of noise and commotion, and I was trying to lead party games, and EVERYONE was cheating or flat-out refusing to participate, and I will be honest:  I lost my zen.  And I lost it right as George came up to see how I was doing (so, bright side?  George was the only one who saw my demon face, and not the kids...)

{this was a fun GIF of demon-face from the show Cougar Town}

But aside from my momentary meltdown, everything was good - the cake turned out fabulously, the decorations were cute, I managed to come up with a bunch of Pokemon-themed games, and the loot bags were freaking adorable.  (They were Pokeballs filled with candy.  So. Perfect.)

{here was a picture of the Poke-party}

I know that seems like a lot of excitement in two weeks, but guess what?  That wasn't all.

The day after J-Bird's birthday party, I had another baby shower!


But I'm not going to tell you about.  At least, not today... it was too spectacularly planned by my fantastic cousin to just get a mention in a recap post.  This shower deserves a post of its own - so keep an eye out for that in the next couple of days!


0 comments:

Post a Comment